Puji Monastery is also called as the front monastery. lt is near to the foot of Lingjiu Peak and at the east foot of the Mountain Meicen.
A Japanese Monk Hui-e obtained a bronze statue of Guanyin in Mount Wutai and intended to take it back to Japan in 863. The billow was beating the ship continually when his ship was crossing Lotus Ocean near to Tidal Sound Cave. He Ieft the statue at the side of the cave. A local resident, Mr. Zhang, learned the story and modified his own house into a small temple to enshrine the statue that was called as Bukenqu(Unwilling to Go) Gyuanyin. Bukenqu(Unwilling to Go) Guanyin Temple was built on the site of Zhang' s house in 916. ln 1080 it was renamed as Baotuo Guanyin Temple by the emperor of Song Dynasty. ln 1387 the statue of Guanyin was moved to Qixin Monastery of Ningbo. The main hall was rebuilt and the monastery was renamed Putuo Monastery(namely current Seven Pagoda Monastery). ln 1572 the statue of Guanyin was moved back, Baotuo Guanyin Monastery was rebuilt in the piedmont west to Prince Pagoda. ln 1574 built Tripitaka Pavilion.
Seven times of expansion and maintenance were carried out in the reign of Qing Emperor Kangxi. Qing Emperor Kangxi made his inspection tour in the south of China in 1699. He also granted a horizontal tablet "Pu Ji Qun Ling" (Universal Salvation Monastery) to it, and renamed it as Puji Monastery. lt was overhauled in 1731. The size of the monastery was magnificent and it was kept in such a size until now. Four times of expansion and maintenance were carried out in 1800, 1881, 1912 and 1915. ln 1979, the monastery was repaired comprehensively remolding the statues of Buddha in all halls. Today the Puji Monastery is brilliant with a completely new appearance. The Buddhist Association of Mount Putuo is located in the monastery.
The first building on the central axis of Puji Monastery is Wanshou Pavilion, namely Principal Front Gate of the monastery. lt was built in 1704. There is Royal Stele "Puji Monastery of Putuo Luojia Mount" granted by Qing Emperor Kangxi at the center. There is Royal Stele "Giving a volume of sutra anew" granted by Ming Emperor Wanli in 1599 at the east side, there is Royal Stele "epairing and rebuilding Puji Monastery and Fayu Monastery according to a special imperiaI decree" granted by Qing Emperor Yongzheng in 1731 at the west side. The second building is Tianwan(Heavenly King) Hall which was built in 1691. Statues of four Heavenly Kings were remolded in 1984. The third building is Yuantong(Universal Understanding) Hall which was built in 1693. The hall is also called as "Live Hall". An 8.8 meter high statue of Pilu Guanyin is enshrined at the center of the hall, and statues of 32 Nirmanakaya of Guanyin are enshrined on the both sides of the hall. A horizontal tabIet "Pu Ji Qun Ling" (Universal Salvation Monastery) given by Qing Emperor Kangxi in 1699 is hung at the center of the ceiling. There is a standing statue of Guan Yu(God of War) on the west side of the door and there is a standing statue of Wei Tuo(Skanda Bodhisattva) on the east side of the door. The forth building is Zangjing(Tripitaka) Pavilion which was built in 1697. Sitting statues of Buddha of three periods, namely Sakyamuni Buddha, Bhaisajyaguru Buddha and Amitabha Buddha, are enshrined in the downstairs of the pavilion. The fifth building is Fangzhang(Abbot) Hall with five rooms rebuilt in 1697. There is a horizontal tablet "Lion Cave" written by Emperor Kangxi in the hall. The sixth building Puji Monastery is the Internal Altar built by Abbot Liaoyu in 1915. The seventh building is Lingjiu(Rajgir) Building. There are Yubei(Royal Stele) PaviIion and Octagon Pavilion in front of the Principal Front Gate. Now the monastery has 586 rooms of building and 23,000 m2 of building area and 37,000 m2 area of land.