Fayu Monastery is also called as the rear monastery. It is located at the foot of Guangxi Peak. lts original name was Haichao(Ocean Tide) Nunnery set up to the north of Thousand Pace Beach by Monk Dazhi of Sichuan in 1580. It was renamed as Haichao (Ocean Tide) Monastery in 1594. ln 1606 a horizontal tablet with inscription "Hu Guo Yong Shou Zhen Hai Chan Si" (Defending Country, Permanent Life and Pacifying Ocean Monastery) was granted by Emperor Wanli, and then it was called as Zhenhai(Pacifying Ocean) Monastery. Several rebuilding and expansions were carried out in periods of Emperors Shunzhi and Kangxi. ln 1699 Emperor Kangxi gave money to rebuild it. Emperor Kangxi gave material of the former palace of Ming Dynasty in Nanjing to rebuild Yuantong(Universal Understanding) Hall (also called as Nine Dragon Hall) and granted a horizontal tablet "Tian Hua Fa Yu" (Heavenly Flowers Buddhist Rain) renaming it as Fayu Monastery. ln 1731 Emperor Yongzheng gave money to overhaul it, it became a big monastery. lt was repaired and expanded twice in the reign of Emperor Guangxu. It was in disrepair before the eve of liberation. ln 1983 began large-scale restoration: rebuilt Baijing(Worshiping Sutra) Building and overhauled Nine Dragon Hall. Nine Dragon Wall and two stone sutra pillars were set up outside of Tianwang(Heavenly King) Hall in 1987. A stone memorial archway was set up along the lotus pool in 1995.
The first building on the central axis of Fayu Monastery is Tianwang(Heavenly King) Hall of five rooms built in 1698, East Gate of three rooms and West Gate of three rooms. Bell Tower at the east side and Drum Tower at the west side are of two stories and three eaves. The second building is Yufo(Jade Buddha) Hall of five rooms built in 1687. It was named Yubei(Royal Stele) Hall in the reign of Emperor Yongzheng. A 1.6 m high jade standing statute of Buddha which was brought from Beijing Yongle Palace in 1989 is enshrined in the hall. The third building is Yuantong(Universal Understanding) Hall, namely Nine Dragon Hall. lt is of single story and double eaves, with the yellow glazed roof tiles and the ceiling with the circular arch caisson of nine dragon winding. A 6.6 meter high sitting statue of Pilu Guanyin is enshrined in the hall. There is an lmage "Boy Shancai(Sudhana) worships 53 advisors" in the back of the hall. There are statues of 18 Arhats at the both sides of the hall, Bass-relief "24 Figures of Filial Piety" between stone balustrades outside the hall is a treasure of Ming stone bass-relief. The fourth building was used as Yubei(Royal Stele) Pavilion of three rooms. Now a statue of Guanyin with thousand hands which was remolded anew in 1988 is enshrined in the hall. The fifth building is Daxiong Hall which was built in 1693 and rebuilt in 1879. Sitting statues of Buddha of three periods are enshrined in the hall. There was a Zhunti Hall of three rooms in the east to the Daxiong Hall. Now it becomes Three Saints Hall, Statues of Amitabha Buddha, AvaIokitesvara Bodhisattva and Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva are enshrined in the hall. There was a Fumo Hall of three rooms in the west to the Daxiong Hall. Now it becomes Guan Yu(God of War) Hall. The sixth building is Zangjing(Tripitaka Sutra) Pavilion of seven rooms, There is Memorial hall of Master Yin-guang up stairs. There is Worshiping Hall at the center downstairs. There is Dongfangzhang(East Abbot) Hall at the east side. There is Xifangzhang(West Abbot) Hall at the west side. Zangjing(Tripitaka Sutra) Pavilion was built in 1687 and rebuilt in1877. The monastery was listed in 142 key temples in Han nationality area by State Council, and it is one of the Key Relics Conservation Units in China now. lt has 382 rooms of building, 33,408 m2 area of land and 15,965 m2 of building area.